Monday, June 1, 2015

Meet the Crew

With the expansion of project comes the need for additional personnel. We are pleased to have three new field assistants joining us for our second field season and one returning member. Without the support from our private donors, an East Stroudsburg University grant and the Pennsylvania Game Commission we would be unable to have this wonderful team of dedicated individuals. 



Randy Farley 

 
My name is Randy Farley, I am currently a student at East Stroudsburg University studying Environmental Science. I completed my Associate’s Degree in Environmental Science at Sussex County Community College in 2013. When not studying, I work on farms and am involved in baling hay, growing corn, taking care of livestock, and more. I also live on a Christmas Tree Farm in Hardwick New Jersey, so I spend a lot of time outside taking care of the trees.  In my free time, I spend hours outdoors because I enjoy hiking and watching wildlife.  I started studying the Broad-winged Hawk early this spring and cannot wait to learn more about their habitat as the research progresses.


Cassandra Baun

I graduated from East Stroudsburg University, majoring in biology, physics, and earth and space science. I was a member of the college swim team, and have been swimming competitively since elementary school. I worked as an engineering intern for the past 4 years. I also volunteer with Pennsylvania's DCNR, taking part in such activities as trail maintenance and planting trees at the local parks. In my free time, I enjoy snowboarding in the winter, or hiking and camping during the summer.
  

 

 

 

 

Corinne Campbell   

I am a wife, biologist, birder and runner. I have a bachelor’s of science in Biodiversity and Conservation Biology from Cedar Crest College in Allentown, PA. I have been doing field work almost primarily with birds for over 10 years including working for a wind consulting agency doing raptor migration and breeding bird surveys, monitoring and managing endangered species of birds in Florida and Texas, searching for the elusive Ivory-billed Woodpecker in Texas and banding passerines in North Carolina and Oregon. Hawks are a special passion of mine. Nine years ago I started counting and banding raptors at Little Gap where I met my husband Mike Schall. Mike introduced me to the world of birding and we have traveled all over America camping and hiking incredible places like Arizona and Alaska in a quest to see all the birds we can. I also am an avid runner having completed one marathon a year, every year since 2008. I often combine my running with birding by ear as I remember counting at least 26 Warbling Vireos last year while running the Lehigh Valley Marathon along the Lehigh River.

 

Zachary Bordner

I am currently working on the Broadwing Project for the second summer in a row, assisting with nest searching, field observations and vegetation sampling. I have my B.S. in Ecology and have studied at Juniata College, Universidad San Francisco de Quito, and the Foundation for Ecological Research Advocacy and Learning. I was a counter at the Montclair Hawkwatch and have been involved in additional raptor monitoring work in the Delaware Water Gap. My other interests include cooking, playing guitar, books, travel, and marine science.

No comments:

Post a Comment